Saturday, January 17, 2009

Slow going










I met with bad news on the Stag front during the holidays. I had hooked up the battery and tried the key, but nothing. I removed the clamshell around the steering column and the back of the ignition switch (plastic electrical multi-connection) fell off. It looked like it was missing some pieces and this explained why the key had no spring action when turned to the start position. The key cylinder is attached to the steering column with two shear screws...you screw them in and then shear off the heads. I had to use an extractor on them, but got them off of both cars without too much trouble. Unfortunately, once you disassemble the multi-connector, it's hell getting it back together. I had no choice b/c the hulk's harness attaching to the connector obviously had shorted at some time in the past. Long story short, I had to mate the key side of the connector from the hulk to the backside (attached to the harness) from the driver. Lot's of little pieces trying to spring out and fly away. Still no juice to any electrical circuit except the door buzzer. I had hoped restoring the ignition switch electrics would help with this situation. Back to the drawing board.
I did get the new overdrive switch installed and the gear lever back into the car. I have a new shift knob in nice polished aluminuim, but I can't get the nut inside the old one to let go so I can unscrew it from the stick, so I just attached the new plastic top to the old knob. I'll be removing all of the console and dash wood to be refinished anyway, so I'll deal with it then. I also received a K&B air filter I bought on Ebay.

No comments:

Web Site Counters
Radeon Video Cards