Friday, April 13, 2012

Let There Be Lights!

Two front grill sets

Let there be light

Today I got all external lights working, with the exception of the backup lights (who cares) and the brake lights, which will require further circuit-chasing. Amazingly, the turn signals all work. I had to replace almost all of the small bulbs (picture left) which were oversprayed blue and burnt out. Again I wonder what the heck happened to this poor car? In an aviation accident investigation, if all bulbs were burnt out after a crash, it would be evidence that they were illuminated at impact. Hmmm. Most of the replacements came from the hulk. Then I turned my attention to the temperature gauge, which has never worked and is absolutely required in a Stag. After consulting the ROM about the location of the sending unit (88.25.20), I finally located it on the aft driver's side of the engine. At last I found (by feel) the little tang hidden on the bottom of the "water transfer housing" and plugged in the green wire. Now let's start the engine and check it....nothing. The starter would not turn. More troubleshooting and I finally put the car up on the lift again and re-checked the wire bundle that feeds the starter. That must've been the problem, b/c it started right up, and I got good temp indications! Yeah! I suspect that the overdrive harness will need some attention, and that may solve the reverse light problem as well, but that's for another day.                                                                                                
Hah! Working temp gauge!!

No comments:

Web Site Counters
Radeon Video Cards