Thursday, February 13, 2014

New clutch master and strut tops

I knew I would be removing the front struts once again to replace the strut top bearings when I put the car away for the winter. This went smoothly ( I've R&R'd the struts quite a few times now), except for one of the shock mounting nuts that was a booger to get loose. Put everything back on the car and then discovered the clutch reservoir was bone dry. I had problems with that master cylinder since I put it on, so I decided to just mount a new one. I had forgotten what fun it is to get the thing disconnected and reconnected from the pedal. Maybe everything was that hard before getting a lift and now I'm just spoiled? My neck still hurts! Got it all set and then came the fun of bleeding the system. Could not get a firm pedal. Remembered to look back at a previous post when Bob declared it to be "self bleeding" and therefore let it sit overnight. Tried the next morning and noticed some improvement.  Pumped the pedal and saw a bubble appear in the reservoir. Did this some more and "wallah" all done. Seems like you just can't get the bubbles nearest to the reservoir to go downhill to the slave and out by normal means, so they have to work their way out the top at the master. Anyway, I went for drive to check the alignment and steering and it's perfect! Whew.
The other project I started but didn't finish because of the race car was the Stag's soft top. It's still in pieces and waiting for some time to work. For now I just needed to move the Stag off of the lift and get the Fiat up there for multiple jobs to be done before race season begins in April.

No comments:

Web Site Counters
Radeon Video Cards