Saturday, July 21, 2012

Problems Getting my Rubbers on ;-O










It took a couple of days, but the exhaust system is mounted. Here are some random pictures. The tailpipe rubbers gave me the worst time. I eventually hollowed them out some, but they still split when trying to get them on the tailpipe tabs. My solution was to wrap them in zipties. That should preserve the sound and vibration deadening quality of the rubber while giving them a longer life with additional strength. Once I finally got the tailpipes on, there was no way to get the mufflers, which are mid-car, attached at both ends. No way was I going through attaching the rubbers again! My fix for that was to remove the front pipes from the manifolds and put them on last instead of first. The through-body hangers are another source of misery, but I think I got all parts in the right place. Sure sounds nice now! I highly recommend the large bore tailpipes.
My friend Bob came by in his Midget just as I was finishing up, and I was anxious to drive around the block...first time with new exhaust and windshield, so I forgot to get a completion picture from underneath. Next time she's up on the rack I'll do that. Leaving on vacation for two weeks tomorrow, so no time (as usual).
The driver's door striker problem was solved using Bill's suggestion of putting shims under just one side of the mounting plate. Closes and stays closed now.
Oh, and a big thank you to Allen from Sydney, whose comment on the last post said he spent and hour reading this whole blog. All I can say is this guy needs to get out more! Thanks Allen for your kind words.

No comments:

Web Site Counters
Radeon Video Cards