Monday, May 28, 2012

New Tires at Last

Ahhhh Four new Pirelli's

New tank sending unit connector fixed the fuel gauge

Bent doohicky

Vise grips while pounding on Doohicky

Straight Doohicky
Got John's book and it's amazing! Tons of photos and stories from every stop along the way. Highly recommended. Also finally got some tires. I went with Pirelli P4's 185/65- 14 b/c they were readily available at my local Discount Tire and on sale. They look so much better than the shredders that were on the car...even got a comment from the tire guys, and you know they see some doozies! Mounted them up and went for a spin. The water temp gauge pegged high and I got back to the garage in a hurry. Opened the bonnet and steam was hissing out under the carbs. Cooled down, took off the air cleaner and tightened the hoses. Opened up and refilled (twice) the radiator. You gotta jiggle the car to get the fluid in there. Found and repaired the vacumn leak under the dash. Pulled the dashboard again to look for the reason the fuel quantity was not working. Nothing. pulled up the boards covering the tank in the boot and...aha! Broken  connector. While I was in there, I replaced the spare tire and all the cool British Leyland tools that came with the car. Also straightened out the little roller doohicky that helps keep the lid open on the left side. Let the car idle for a long time with very stable temps. Took it for another drive and the needle stayed left of the 12 o'clock position. Guess I just didn't have enough coolant in the system (it took another gallon). Still need to get the brake lights working, but the fix has eluded me so far. Anyway, a good day to wrap up my vacation! I think the windshield will be the next major item.

No comments:

Web Site Counters
Radeon Video Cards